G r e e r P e s t e r
Greer Pester is a Scottish visual and social artist who has lived between the UK and Mexico for the past 4 years. She was born in Glasgow and graduated from Edinburgh College Of Art with a degree in Painting and Sculpture subjects. Since then she has primarily worked as a community artist and facilitator and has delivered various creative education programmes on this green island and as far as Senegal and the Americas. She focuses her projects around themes of creative play, food, ritual, death, nature and eroticism. Her visual art practice explores and ties these themes with a variety of materials but more recently works made with tissue paper inspired by México’s Papel Picado – perforated paper decorations. She makes collage and cut outs but also continues to work in sculpture and painting. Her work as a social artist intrinsically informs her practice and is continually fuelled by cultural exchange and human experience.
She is currently artist in residence at The Studio Pavilion at House For an Art Lover in Glasgow.
D.O.B : 11/10/1988
BA Honours degree in Painting and Sculpture subjects (06-10) from Edinburgh College Of Art. SVQ level 2 in Playwork.
- – Creative Scotland funded Cultural exchange artists residency @ Arquetopia during Dias De Los Muertos ; Puebla & Oaxaca,Mexico ,Oct – November , 2012.
- – Sibling residency with Ruby Pester @ Waaw ,Senegal, Saint Louis , West Africa ,Feb -Apr, 2015.
- – First Food Residency – Oct – Nov 2015 Oaxaca , Mexico .Educational outreach program development work around Amaranthand Cacao.
- – Studio pavillion – House for an art lover , September – October 2019 , Glasgow , UK.EXHIBITIONS + EVENTS:
- Solo exhibition @ Casa Equis,Santa Maria La Ribera, México City, 07 – 12 June, 2019.
- ‘Paste up’ International Festival of Collage, Fraternidad UC, Roma, México City, 25 of April – 18th of May 2019.
- Monkey Town México City, Escandon , Immersive video art dinner, edible sculptures for Mimi Pepinis performance, :5-13 April 2019.
- Dia de mujer, collective exhibition Dilonngi art gallery, Condesa, Mexico City, 14/03/19.
- ‘Mucho Caliente’ installation and performance event @instituto de artes feas 85 Jaime Torres Bodet,17/02/19 , Santa Maria de la Ribera, México City.
- ‘ U-haus’ as part of ‘Food Art Week ‘ festival in Mexico City , Calle Vienna 185 , Coyoacan, Mexico ,November 2018- January 2019.
‘Fergy Paradise’ – pop up – 12/13 th of October 2018 , 60 Fergus drive G20 6AW , Glasgow , Scotland.
- ‘Space hands’ large inflatable sculpture commission made with Ruby Pester for Sub club Glasgow, September 2018.
‘Oaxaca Art Show’ -Collective exhibition Juju bar ,London with ‘London Mezcal week’ festival. September – October 2018.
‘Myto Cuauhtemoc’ , Llorar , San Rafael, Mexico City , 22nd 23rd June -2018.
“Interregnum” with Yuck ‘n Yum -The SOIL Gallery in Seattle, WA , USA
// Dundee -Generator projects , Scotland, UK. – 03rd May 18 – 02nd June 2018.
‘Dis-fruta’ Galeria Codigo Tonal , Oaxaca City , Oaxaca , Mexico ,10 th March 2018.
‘Animal Urbano’- Collective exhibition , Casa Viva Galeria , Colonia del Valle , Mexico City , 08th of March 2018.
‘Te Verde’ Collective exhibition , Calle Tulipan , Santa Maria La Ribera , Mexico City , 02 February 2018.
‘Cactus and Creatures’ in collaboration with First Food Residency @ The Koppel Project , Baker St , London , October 5 – Nov 5 2017.
‘Joy in People ‘ March On , banner commission , for Kinning Park Complex, Glasgow , July , 2017.
‘Mexico esta cabron’- Teatro Magico + First Food Residency , Forest Rd Brewery , Hackney , London ,June ,2017.
‘Alive with Pleasure’ – Dysfunction Gallery , Strathaven, Scotland , October 2016.
‘Food in The Frame’ with First Food Residency -IOE , University Of Reading ,Reading, England ,September 2016.
‘Royal Berkshire Show ‘ with First Food Residency – interactive Amaranth pyramid installation :17th-19th September 2016.
‘No hay salud sin contacto’ – Kalpoli Margarita , Santa Maria La Ribera, Mexico City, December 2015.
“GEM SA BOP”- (‘trust yourself’-(wolof)) – Pena , Glasgow , September 2015.
‘Soeur Coeur Beurre’ -Galerie Ethiopiques , April ,2015 , Saint Louis , Senegal , West Africa.
Glasgow International festival of art :Apocalypse Now Now @ Kinning Park Complex – April 2012.
First Food Residency – Educational programme :
Summer 2017: ‘ Amaranth’- ‘when your love lies bleeding squish it into joy’
Amaranth garden and sculpture -sessions with the Museum of English Rural Life , and the Institute Of Education at Reading University . ‘When your love lies bleeding , squish it with joy’ @ The project cafe , Glasgow , Scotland,.
Summer / Autumn 2018 ‘ Cochineal – the colour of cactus blood’ ‘Unicorn Enchilada’ @ the centre of contemporary arts ,Glasgow .
Platform Glasgow , Nu gen and culture cafe sessions.
The Koppel Project:
School sessions with
* Hackney New School
* The Art Room Brixton –
Stockwell Elementary School.
* St Marylebone High School –
PHAIDON sponsored workshop :’Can I eat that ?’ mothers and toddler session.
Summer 2018 :
HYAH youth arts ‘ Cochineal’ session at Inverewe gardens , supported by National trust Scotland in the Highlands , Scotland.
London, October 2017.
Various freelance creative projects working with these organisations since 2011 :
Glasgow Life (Tramway , GoMA, Festival 2014 , Merchant City festival) ,CCA ,Platform ,Hidden Door festival ,NUS ,Bright Light Arts, Carrick Festival Of Light , Maryhill Integration Network , ISARO , Urban Roots ,The Hidden Gardens ,Taighchearsabagh Arts Centre ,Poppy Scotland, Macrobert Arts Centre , The Village Storytelling Centre ,The Koppel project , The Project Cafe ,Kinning Park Complex, National Trust Scotland .